Ecclesiastes. Seeing Life Clearly

The book of Ecclesiastes consists of reflections on some of the deepest problems of life, as they present themselves to the thoughtful observer.


The author describes himself as son of David, king in Jerusalem.


Ecclesiastes is written from the point of view of the world, everything is temporary and soon gone—nothing is permanent.


Ecclesiastes should not be construed as theological pronouncements on the condition of the soul after death; rather, they are observations by the Preacher about how things appear to men on the earth “under the sun.”


Ecclesiastes 1–2 and five ways the author sought happiness but couldn’t find it.
  • 1:8 – Knowledge and wisdom
  • 2:4 - Earthly things - a home & vineyard
  • 2:5 - Gardens which yielded fruit
  • 2:6 - A pond where trees might grow
  • 2:8 - Sought treasures and entertainers

What do you think the Lord wants you to accomplish during this “time and season” of your life?

My theory is that after I agreed to come and before I got here I made a list of guidelines as what to do. I knew I had to make the right choices and that temptations would grab my attention. I knew that certain choices would eventually completely change my life around, either good or bad. Whichever way would happen it would still be possible to get to my end goal. Even though I had my guidelines certain things have a certain times. Things I knew would come, like marriage, and things I hadn’t seen at all, like wanting an answer at a certain time, they all have to and had to come at the right time. The reason for all the specific times is because of the reason we were sent here in the first place. We all agreed to come here because we would prove that we could live with Him again. To help us get there some day He has placed certain time limits to things we need. So when the time runs out we will be able to have it just when we need it.


Ecclesiastes 4–5
  • 5:18 - Behold that which I have seen: it is good and comely for one to eat and to drink, and to enjoy the good of all his labour that he taketh under the sun all the days of his life, which God giveth him: for it is his portion. – I need to work more and take care of myself better than I do so that way I can really earn what I am working for.
  • 4:9 - Two are better than one; because they have a good reward for their labour. – I need to work on being able to trust my friends to help me and not feel guilty about using them. If they are my friends then they won’t be upset about helping so I don’t need to feel guilt

Ecclesiastes 12:7, 13–14
  • What happens to us when we die?   Our spirits will return to live with Heavenly Father, while our bodies will buried here on earth
  • What is “the whole duty of man”?  The duty of man is to be responsible and put things of God and Christ first in our lives
  • Why is this a good description of man’s purpose?  Our purpose is to return to God. The only way to do that is to follow His commandments

Comments

Popular Posts