Faith Brings Blessings
This is one of the last posts for my class. Maybe I will be able to keep up with blogging once the class is over.... hmm We'll see.
***Remember, what I say is how I perceive it and it is not doctrine!***There are moments in our life when we feel faithful, yet we don't know how to show it to the Lord. When we are unsure of something it is great to look to an example. Paul gives examples of faith in Hebrews 11. Here is a table of those examples. Some of them I don't know exactly how they were blessed, but they still demonstrated their faith
Name | Verse | How they Demonstrated faith | Blessings they Received |
Abel | 4 | Offered a “more escellent sacrifice” | A witness from God that he was righteous |
Enoch | 5 | Had a testimony that pleased God | He was translated that he should not see death |
Noah | 7 | Prepared an ark | Became heir of the righteous |
Abraham | 8 | He went, not knowing why | Received an inheritance |
Sara | 11 | Strength | Child |
Abraham | 17 | Offered his son Isaac | “in Isaac shall [his] seed be called” |
Isaac | 20 | Blessed Jacob and Esau | ? |
Jacob | 21 | Blessed both the sons of Joseph | ? |
Joseph | 22 | Mentioned the departing of the children of Israel | ? |
Moses’s parents | 23 | Hid him for being a “proper child.” Not being afraid of the king’s commandment | Moses lived |
Moses | 24 | Refused to be called the son of Pharaoh’s daughter; chose to suffer with the people of God; esteeming in the reproach of Christ greater riches than the treasures of Egypt; forsook Egypt; endured; kept the Passover; passed through the Red Sea; | People of Israel were freed |
Other than those that Paul mentioned there could be more people included in this list. For example; Nephi, he was able to get the plates from Laban and many other things by faith. He was blessed with the Promised Land. The people in the Americas during Christ’s birth. There was a group of them that were about to be killed, yet they never denied. Because of their faith they were blessed with the knowledge of Christ coming to the world and probably other blessings I can’t think of or remember. Then, of course, Joseph Smith. He was extremely faithful. He dedicated his life to God’s work. Joseph had been blessed with glory on high because of his extreme faith.
Paul encouraged the people to show their faith by setting aside their sins and “run with patience.” He tells them to look to Christ, “the author and finisher of our faith.”
After reading the passages in the student manual I now understand the difference between faith and belief. Belief is more of a passive word; I understand it as “halfhearted.” When I’m asked a question at work and I don’t know the answer 100% sure I use the word believe. For example “I believe it might be.” It doesn’t give the guest 120% assurance. Then there is faith. Faith is an active word. When you use the word faith people know and you know that you really do have faith in it. It has power.
***Remember, what I say is how I perceive it and it is not doctrine!***
Comments
Post a Comment