Herod the King VS Peter the Prophet

 Hey everybody. Again, it has been a long time since I have posted anything. So, I was right about keeping up on it being an issue! Anyways, right now I am in lovely Yellowstone National Park. I'm going to be working here for three months. Because of mistakes and confusion I have to take an online class for college while I'm here. It is a New Testament class covering Acts to Revelations. I'm really excited and luck to get into be in this class. Apparently, there have been a whole bunch of people contacting the instructor asking if he could add them to the class. I wasn't one one of them. All I did was look at a list of online classes, to see if there had been any change to some classes I was on a waiting list for, at the top of the list I see "reopened" next to a New testament class. At first I thought it was the new testament class I have already taken, but it wasn't!!! I'm really grateful that I got into the class. Some one is looking out for me!


Two requirements of the class are to write a journal, to talk about the kind of week we had, and to do some sort of activity to help us understand certain parts of the reading we need to do. Hopefully it will be alright to keep both on here, I'll still turn them in the right way though.

For my activity I chose to do a character compare and contrast from chapter twelve of Acts. The two "characters" are Herod, the king, and Peter, the prophet. There are three points of comparison: motivation, people skills, and how God dealt with them.



Herod the King
Peter the Prophet
What motivated each of them?
Herod was motivated by power. It seems he wanted power over anyone and everyone. If someone was a potential threat to have more power he wanted that person removed. He will do anything to please the majority of his people. To be sure he is “loved” by them. Acts12:1-4
Peter was/is motivated by the Lord and his word. He wants to do all that the Lord wants him to do. He strives to live by the commandments and values he learned/s from the Lord. Acts12:5
How did they deal with others?
Herod seems to be a very direct and violent person. He made it clear that he was king and that no other being could ever have a higher standing. He was rude, crude, and selfish. Acts12:19
Peter seems to be a very kind and patient man. When he went to the house of Mary it seems that he waited patiently for them to open the door for him. Acts12:12-16
How did God deal with them?
After showing how awful of a man he was. God struck him down and eventually Herod died. The “last straw” for God was when the people were praising Herod and Herod didn’t give the glory to God. Acts12:23
After Peter does his best to turn Herod, God saves Peter from being executed. Peter gives God His glory and in return God helps Peter. Acts12:7-9


After comparing the two, Peter would be a better person to hang out with. Peter would be the best example of a role model. Peter does everything right. He lives by what he was taught by Christ and now teaches it to others. Peter is kind, patient, understanding, he endures to the end. Peter knows that the Lord will help him when he is in a jam. I'm assuming that he also knows that if it is meant to be the end, the Lord will still be there to comfort him and ready to welcome him with open arms. We should all look at our lives and ask ourselves it we are, in any way, like Herod. If we find we are, make the constant effort to change. I will do the same. 

Comments

Popular Posts