Some Scriptures I Find Inspiring

      Hello again!!! I should let you know that while my class is still in session the main thing that will be posted on here are some of my assignments. Don't worry, they aren't the typical boring essay type assignments. These assignments are fun and I hope you guys notice in what I write that I had fun doing them! : )  


     The first bit is explaining what the "Falling Away" is in 2 Thessalonians 2:1-3. Well, it's what I think it is talking about after reading some assigned passages and what nots. Here it is, hope it all makes sense to you! ***Remember, what I say is how I perceive it and it is not doctrine!***

     When the middle ages come to mind one might think of kingdoms, palaces, knights, and swords. However there is another name for the middle ages, Apostasy. What does Apostasy have to do with the middle ages and why is it called Apostasy? In the manual “The Life and Teachings of Jesus Christ and His Apostles” it helps us understand a bit more. On page 276, the second column, and the last section called “What is the “Falling Away” Which Must First Take Place before the Second Coming?” It says that the Greek word apostasia, used by Paul, is the base of the words apostasy, apostatize and apostate. Revolt is the literal meaning and “in secular Greek usage it meant political revolt or changing of governmental forms.” Another name for revolt is rebellion. So in other words Apostasy could mean rebellion. 

     Now another question arises, what or who were people rebelling from? Before getting into that question let’s take care of the first question, what does it have to do with the middle ages? In Amos 8:11-13 it gives a description of a certain time that will happen or maybe it already happened! What was something that was missing during the middle ages? Sanitation, yes, but that isn’t the most important thing. Reading the verses in Amos, it says that the Lord will send a famine, but not the typical food and water famine. He will send a famine of “hearing the words of the Lord.” Meaning, the word of the Lord will not be on the earth. The word of the Lord is what is missing during the Middle Ages! In one of my Sunday school classes we came up with a theory: Maybe because the word of the Lord wasn't on the earth, that is why it wasn’t a very sanitary time! 

     Some might be thinking, “What do you mean? There were religions during the Middle Ages, what are you talking about?!” Slow down, I’m getting there! In Matthew 24:9-12, 24 it talks about killing, hatred, and betrayals. If you look at verses 11 and 24 it says there will be false prophets and Christ’s and that they will deceive many. Here is an example of what “false” might mean. In a test you come to a true or false question, part of the question is correct, but there is another part that makes the whole statement false. In a way that is what the religions during the Middle Ages are like, parts are true but then there are parts that are false. It’s kind of like a chess board. The whole word of the Lord is all of the games pieces sitting on the board. Then one day it tips off of the table and the pieces go everywhere. Eventually every piece is picked up by different people that don’t know about chess. Those who have a piece base their religion off of that one piece, but don’t really know that there is more to that piece. They might have a hunch that something is missing, but don’t look into it or don’t care to accept the idea of more.

      It wasn't until Joseph Smith prayed about which religion was the right one that all the pieces started to come together again. Today people haven’t seen the full set of the whole “chess board” but know about one piece. Finally we get to the question of what were people rebelling from? Before the Apostasy the word of the Lord was on the earth and being taught to many people by Jesus and His apostles after him. The word was all over southeastern Europe and in the Americas, which is what they are called today. So many people knew of the word and many also believed. The way the Lord started the famine of the word, was by people starting to doubt and no longer believe in the word. Eventually, everyone fell away from believing in the word of the Lord, in other words, they rebelled. As time went on, the word of the Lord was forgotten. Therefore, the Apostasy started. 

     What is the importance in knowing about the Apostasy for the restored church? It is a sign of the second coming of Jesus Christ. Of course it is not the only sign, but it is an important sign. 2 Thessalonians 2:1-3, is a message about the second coming of Christ. We need to go to Christ, meaning to hold fast to the iron rod, so we don’t start to doubt and that no man can deceive us. We also don’t need to worry when the Day will come, unless we are told by the spirit when it might be. With the Apostasy over, Ephesians 2:19-20 gives us an idea of what type of people we should be. “Now therefore ye are no more strangers and foreigners, but fellow citizens with the saints, and of the household of God and are built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ himself being the chief corner stone.”


    1 Corinthians 1:25 - God is, in every way, smarter, stronger, and greater than man.

Last semester I took a Psychology class. I heard that it is one of the hardest "base" classes. So I prepared myself to take a boat load of homework every night. Through the class it wasn't too bad. I was always on top of my reading and assignments. When it got closer to tests I would prepare flashcards form the practice test I was given. I would study them so hard i would often find myself muttering what a certain term was! The lowest test score I got was an 80%. When the final came, I realized that I couldn't remember more than half of the answers for previous tests. Quietly I prayed for comfort and remembrance. after the prayer I pulled out all 330 cards and started studying. Gradually I remembered every single answer. Ended up getting a 98% on my test, which meant I only missed one. Through the Holy Ghost, God helped me remember everything i needed to. If I need help knowing something, I am sure he will help me.


    Acts 11:23 - Everyone cleaves to God for a purpose

Everyone has their reasons to be cleaving to God. Many of us may have the some reason. We all probably have multiple reasons. Most likely the top reasons are love, fear, and faith. Love because we all need to feel loved. Without love, life would be pretty bleak. fear is probably one of the top because man fears God and his power. So, they do all they can to please God and to stay in the "safety zone." Faith because we believe He is here, there and everywhere all at once. Because we believe He can help us, support us, and direct us.

What did you think? Did it all make sense?  The next part is my "Finding Principles" assignment. This week we were supposed to explain a little bit about the principles we found. ***Remember, what I say is how I perceive it and it is not doctrine!***

Comments

Popular Posts